Rasco FRC Direct Blog
When the safety of your team is on the line, you want the right gear and protection. You may have invested in FR clothes years ago to help your team stay out of harm’s way while on the job. That said, fireproof clothing can get expensive in a hurry. So how do you find that balance between keeping your flame retardant clothing as long as possible and potentially sacrificing your team’s protection? We hope that this blog post will answer your questions.
Most recognized brands of FR fabric are made to maintain their flame resistance for the life of the garment, however, certain physical damage may compromise the safety. If after realizing that the garment is found incapable of effectively protecting the wearer, it’s time to retire that particular FR clothing. Keep in mind that the purpose of FR shirts, pants, and other FR clothing is to provide a barrier from the thermal hazard. Below you will find the following items that may diminish the effectiveness of FR clothes, warranting removal from service:
- Worn appearance - Be sure to replace garments that have thin spots, holes, or excessive wear and abrasion.
- Mechanical damage - Cuts, rips, tears, open seams, and other damage to fireproof clothing may not be repairable.
- Noticeably altered - FR clothing is made in a way that fits into FR compliance and standards. Garments that have been modified or altered from the original design should be removed from service.
- Improper fit - Be aware that FR clothing should fit loosely, allowing the air gap between the wearer and garment to help with insulation. If the the garment is too big or small, it should be replaced. A garment that’s too big can be a physical hazard, while one’s that’s too small can lose some of its thermal protection.
- Heavily soiled - This is important for those wearing FR clothing in the oil and gas industry. If there are flammable substances on the clothing that can’t be removed by cleaning, those substances may represent a flammability risk. Just know that clothing soiled with combustible chemicals should be handled by experts and done so in accordance with pre-established procedures.
FR Clothing Repair Tips
If your flame resistant clothing could benefit from some simple repairs, consider these tips:
- Always make repairs using fabric consistent with the garment’s original fabric to ensure safety. Folks often don’t realize that other fabric types may react differently to thermal exposure and laundering.
- Non-FR thread can burn quickly and even expose flammable underlayers or bare skin. That’s why it’s necessary to use FR thread for any repair.
- Even when dealing with components such as zipper, buttons, and reflective tape, be sure they are FR rated.
Update Your Gear with Rasco FR Direct
Our team at Rasco FR Direct takes great pride in providing top-of-the-line fireproof clothing for customers. But we also know that after a while, FR garments will need improvements. Be sure to inspect your FR clothes and replace them when they are irreparable so that your workers are always safe.
Shop now for Rasco FR shirts, pants, jeans, and so much more.
Is your team currently equipped with the best personal protective equipment? If workplace hazards are a routine part of your work day, it may be time to consider flame retardant clothing. FR clothes offers unbeatable protection for industry workers and very much differ from everyday clothes. But how exactly are they different and what specifically [...]
Did you know that the energy industry has recently seen a 30 percent increase in female workers in the field? Because of this increase, Rasco Direct decided to lead the industry with our new line of FR clothing geared specifically towards women. Cool Girl FR meets all the same standards and classifications required by the oil [...]
Make 2017 the year of safety with flame retardant clothing from Rasco FRC Direct. We’ve got a wide variety of FR shirts, pants, jeans and so much more. Each piece of clothing is created to uphold our high standards of safety. Plus, you’ll find many products ship for free.Check out these eight hot-selling items that [...]
FR clothes aren't inexpensive. Whether you are buying them for yourself or purchasing them on behalf of your company, you are going to pay a lot when it comes to fire resistant clothing. Rasco FRC Direct is proud to offer high-quality FR clothes at affordable prices. We're proud that we offer a variety of women's [...]
When it comes to personal protection gear, fireproof clothing isn't the only requirement that many industries have for their crews. In addition to FR clothes, many people need the additional safety of high-visibility clothing. This is especially true for those working on roadsides, in the dark, or under other conditions where they may be difficult [...]
Winter is coming and in many parts of the country the temperatures are already taking a plunge. When the temperatures drop, you want to stay as warm as possible when out on a job. Being cold when working in the gas and oil fields just isn't an option, and many workers need to be out [...]
When you are wearing flame retardant clothing, you need tough footwear to go along with it. Great footwear is important for those working in gas, oil, and other industries where you might spend hours of your day out in the field or working in situations where your feet need to be the last thing on [...]
Choosing the right coveralls for your particular needs can seem daunting with the variety of options available. At Rasco Direct we are passionate about helping you find the perfect fit for your needs. If you work in the oilfield and gas production industry, or any industry requiring flame resistant options, our clothing is geared specifically [...]
At Rasco Direct we value all of our customers, especially the females who work in a male dominant work environment. We offer clothing options for women and men to ensure each of our customers are safe and ready to brave their work world. It might be a little confusing buying fire resistant clothes for women, [...]